Saturday, December 29, 2007

Another Year Older...A Day of Thanksgiving...A Christmas Season that marks a new season of life.




November and December 2007...the phrase that most aptly describes the 8 weeks comprising these two months is "emotional change". Another birthday (I'm now 58); a new job and more travel (much to learn in a very short time frame); a new church; a Thanksgiving dinner without the traditional sumptuous "favorites" that have adorned my table in years past; a pre-Christmas celebration in a different city, a different home, but with my adorable step-grandchildren, step-daughter and son-in-law, and step-son...not to mention new husband; Christmas Eve alone with my husband, Mike, in a quiet house; Christmas Morning alone with my husband, Mike, in a very quiet house; Christmas afternoon at the Byrne-Breard family dinner party with at least 30 people (probably more) enjoying the camaraderie of their immediate and extended families...not as quiet as our Christmas morning, to say the least, but much fun!

On this day, December 29th, 2007, as I reflect over the past several weeks I realize I have entered a new season of life and I have left behind one that I'm forced to hold as a treasured memory. For the first time in 30 years I'm no longer the "matriarch in charge" of seasonal celebrations, traditional dinners, and family gatherings. My children have their own families, their own lives, their own jobs, their own preferences, their own friends. I raised these amazing young adults to respect their educations, find their vocations, commit to their families, become contributing citizens! And they have done just that...in three different cities in three different states, and the likelihood of coming together annually is quite slim...and that's a reality I'm forced to embrace. My prayer is that I'll embrace it with a happy countenance, and not a sad one; a grateful heart, and not a despising one; and a servant's humble disposition, not a prideful one.

So, I swallow hard, choke back tears, and forge forward into 2008 with a fresh determination! What are my expectations? Well, I've learned that if I set them too high, I inevitably face disappointment. Therefore, I'm setting reasonable, attainable goals...

(1) Love, care for, and respect my wonderful husband, Mike.
(2) Maintain my present weight, with a preference of lowering it by at least 4 lbs.
(3) Continue my work-out regimen (3 times per week) at Curves for Women.
(4) Walk on my treadmill at least 2 times per week.
(5) Daily Bible Reading with a goal of reading through the Old and New Testaments in a year's time
(6) Finish our household face lift...repairs, upgrades, etc.
(7) Save additional money towards retirement
(8) Dedicate myself to some kind of ministry of mercy (i.e. visiting shut-ins, caregivers, etc.)


I'll close with November and December photo highlights of this most wonderful time of year. I'm welcoming 2008...I hope you are, too.

The Pilgrim Princess and her Indian Chief!


Angie stuffing the turkey on Thanksgiving Morning!

Michael, Angie, John and Sarah...Pilgrims and Indian Girl!


Once a teacher, always a teacher! Making our hats.


Christmas in Georgetown...reading to the Grandsons!

Peter opens his new leather moccasin shoes!


Michael opening his Star Wars ship.
Sarah was thrilled with her own gardening tools.

Sharon made me this terrific over-the-shoulder apron!

Granddaddy and Uncle Allen help Sarah with her spherical puzzle, but where is Sarah?

2 Comments:

Blogger carol grams said...

O, so nice to hear from you again. Great post! Lots of adjustments!
Mom shared your letter w/me. It was nice to get caught up some.
Love to you. Happy New Year! carol

11:55 PM  
Blogger The Norvells said...

Great post mom! But don't forget...I'm still here and more then likely will be for a very long time. Love to you!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home