Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Regal, Royal, and Enchanting!

I must admit that I was indeed captivated by the royal visit to the White House this week. I found myself caught up in the splendor of the planning, the glitter of the white tie and tails and floor-length evening gowns, the VIP guest list, and of course, the unparalleled, elite artistry of Itzac Perlman.

I met a most extraordinary married couple last night. He is 89 years young and she is 95 years young. Their names are Tom and Kathleen B. (Again, I am somewhat reluctant to publish last names without permission.) Tom and Kathleen have been married 38 years. Prior to their 38 years of marriage Kathleen was married twice before...yes, Tom is her third husband! Her first two husbands both died early in life, she's been a widow twice, and today she is blessed with a third husband of 38 years, a man who truly adores her for her grace, her dignity, her beauty and her charm.

Kathleen and Tom are Mike's mother and step-father. We met them in Dallas last night for an early Mother's Day dinner. When we arrived at El Fenix restaurant, we found them seated side-by-side at the table, enjoying the company of their grandson (Mike's son), Allen. I recognized Kathleen right away from a photograph Mike had shown me on another occasion. But what astonished me so incredibly was her amazing physical beauty! Even though she suffers from macular degeneration (she only has peripheral vision), she has a carriage and confidence about herself that exudes the most amazing lovliness! She has a wrinkle-free face, beautiful white hair, creamy skin (no blemishes), and a stately, trim figure (even though she uses a walker). Her husband, Tom, is absolutely charming! A real tease (he and I had a great time together), he is a very intelligent man...staunch Republican, astute conversationalist, and very handsome! His adoring love for Kathleen was more than evident..."...we are a wonderful match for each other..." he says, "she's almost blind and I'm almost deaf; we compensate perfectly for each other"...he tells me as his arm rests on the back of her chair.

After dinner we visited them at their home in Dallas. They live off of Northwest Highway, just a few blocks from Hillcrest in a spectacular Retirement Village...more like a 5-star resort! Their condominium home is decorated southwestern due to having lived in Taos, NM for many years. I visited with Tom and Allen while Mike took his mother to the den where she sat in her chair and used a very high-powered, lighted magnifying glass to look at pictures that Mike had taken at a recent family reunion (Kathleen was wearing a striking bright red dress and jacket at the reunion...nothing frumpy for this Southern Belle). We visited together for about 45 minutes to an hour...and then dear Tom announced that it was bedtime! Our cue that it was time to leave so he could help Kathleen retire for the night.

Why have I spent blog time describing this? Well, one reason is that I've rarely witnessed a more loving, caring relationship between two seniors. We didn't have parents or grandparents who shared this kind of heartfelt affection and respect for each other, therefore I missed out on observing these treasured relationships. What a gift! And what an amazing testimony of what marriage should be, can be and actually is for many couples. My prayer for my family and for myself is that we might all look to Him each and every day, asking for wisdom and guidance in our own relationships, that they would be honorable and pleasing in His sight.

And so I end with this...Kathleen is so like Queen Elizabeth...stately, graceful, beautiful (much more beautiful than the Queen), revered, and charming! I am blessed to have met her and I hope I will see her again! And Tom is indeed her earthly King!

Oh....by the way.....we presented Kathleen with a gift of European Dark Chocolates for Mother's Day from a new little chocolate shop in Grapevine...so fitting for a proper southern senior!


1 Comments:

Blogger carol grams said...

How awesome! thank you for sharing! what a great reminder to cherish those whom God has blessed us!
Besides, the Queen is southern, she would be more stoic than charming...
carol grams

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home