Saturday, April 07, 2007



I participated in an amazing experience today...and I'll do it again...many times over!

I did the "Walk for the Cure"... a 3.2 mile walk in support of Breast Cancer Research. My Curves Club banded together with other clubs across Tarrant County and we walked the race route together. There were more than 18,000 entrants...I was number 15,322! We had our Vendor Tent at the event; we had a HUGE team photo taken; and we probably got some great press as well! I'm looking forward to watching the news later tonight.

We met at 6:30 a.m. at our Curves location. We then car-pooled to Fort Worth, Sundance Square where the race began. It was so festive! Balloon banners at the starting line and at the finish line. Many different businesses and organizations sponsored their employees, and so there were T-shirts of varied colors everywhere representing the Komen Foundation and the specific business support groups who raised money for the foundation. For example, my T-shirt says "Curves Walks for the Cure". I'll post photos as soon as I get them; unfortunately I did not take my own camera so I'm waiting upon my friends to send me theirs.

Curves has been my best monthly investment of time and money. Not only has the exercise program benefitted me in terms of weight loss, weight control and body fat loss, it has also given me a new circle of women friends! I reached out to a very nice gal...my age...who had been coming for a few months. I asked her to walk the race as my partner. So, we met...she drove...and we spent 3 hours getting acquainted while we walked the route. She's a great lady! Her name is Gaye, she's a born-again Christian, has had some similar life experiences as me, and I really, really enjoyed her company! I'm so thankful for this new friend.

After the race, Curves hosted a Mimosa Brunch at the club! So much fun! Great food, lots of laughter, some tears as we toasted our Curves Breast cancer survivors...really a wonderfully rewarding morning.

Well, the most humorous part of the day was the weather! It was freezing...literally!! Low 30's in temperature...and it actually snowed the last leg of the race. I'm just now thawing out, and it's 7:00 p.m. The race was at 8:00 a.m.! But...I'd do it again!

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday, and to all of my readers...family and friends...I wish you a most blessed day of worship and remembrance...He has Risen! He has risen, indeed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home